Monday, October 21, 2013

Week 3--What is a fable?


Today the goal was to review with the kids what fairy tales and folk tales were and contrast them with fables (which we were going to learn about today). I was pleasantly surprised to find that they remembered almost everything we had talked about the previous 3 weeks!

We then did a game I called "Fairy Freeze." This was an exercise where I would call out animal movements like "waddle like a penguin," "soar like an eagle," "scurry like a mouse" or "sleep like a lion!" They loved it and all of them got so into it by making noises and everything!

I wanted to get them moving with this activity and also give them an intro into talking about the animals in our story, a lion and a mouse. I also told them that the people who participated well in this activity would get to help me tell a story later on, and that made them all a LOT more willing to do what they should!


From here, we came back to the rug and I pulled out my lion and mouse puppets. One student got to be the mouse and the other got to be the lion. I then passed out some string for 5 students to be the "hunters" in the story. I told the story and helped the kids with the puppets tell the story by telling them to make the noises at the right time, and make the puppets do what they need to in the story, etc.


The kids loved being "the hunters" and tying the lion up. I actually had to tell them to sit back down after they were done putting their piece of yarn on the lion because they were loving tangling him all up!

When I asked boy who was playing the lion to "roar" like the lion, he did a VERY impressive lion noise, and moved the mouse so well that the rest of the class giggled in delight (I may or may not have giggled right along with them)!

We then talked about the elements of fables and I asked them what the moral of the story of the lion and the mouse was.

From here, I split them into 3 groups by having them do a toe-to-toe exercise and I gave them each a poster where I explained to them that they were going to write everything they knew about fairy tales/folk tales/fables (depending on which poster they got). They could write or draw anything to do about the genre they got.

I loved the pictures that the kids chose to draw. They all had to do with the genre and it really showed me just how creative these kids are.





Once they were done with that, they were to come up with a story that fit in their genre to perform for the class. This was a pre-assessment for me to see how well they performed in front of their peers.

I feel like this activity went really well, especially since Mrs. Larsen and I went between the 3 groups and made sure they were doing well. The fairy tale group had a hard time working together as a group at first and the narrators got so involved in the story, they forgot to narrate it. But it was a great version of Jack and the Beanstalk!

We also had a great rendition of "The Three Little Pigs" where they used their desks as their three houses and "The Lion and the Mouse" with the greatest casting of the mouse ever (see the girl in blonde below). Also, the boy in the blue striped shirt was a great narrator.


Next time, I would end with a more solid wrap-up where we talk more about the differences between the genres and what we saw in each performance. I learned that I need to have a better follow up to wrap the lesson all together.

I just LOVED seeing these kids interact with the stories today and create their very own performances. It was extremely rewarding for me. Kids are so creative!

1 comment:

  1. I love this lesson Lisa! The kids were up and acting and having a lot of fun while really learning the 3 genres. Great job using a variety of theatre techniques in the lesson: puppets, movement and scene creation.

    ReplyDelete